Some people will tell you that kebabs belong only on the grill. Don’t tell that to the Jewish homemaker, who does not want to be standing over a fire right before a meal, but still wants to bring these pretty, juicy, and flavorful bites to the table. Kebabs that we can throw into the oven and then pull out and serve are way more practical. These kebabs are marinated and then braised, giving the meat plenty of time to absorb its fruity (but not overly sweet) marinade. I think that my skewers have found a brand-new home: in a roasting pan.
1 ¼ lbs minute steak roast, cut into ¾-inch cubes
1 onion, cut into strips
36 dried apricots
36 dried cherries or prunes
½ tsp salt
Pinch coarse black pepper
12 oz beer
1 cup pomegranate juice
½ cup teriyaki sauce
2 garlic cloves, crushed
¼ cup olive oil
1. Prepare the marinade: In a medium bowl, combine pomegranate juice, teriyaki sauce, garlic, and olive oil.
Add steak cubes. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 4-6 hours or up to overnight.
2. Preheat oven to 350oF. Place onion strips into a Dutch oven or roasting pan.
3. Remove steak cubes from marinade (reserve marinade) and thread skewers with steak cubes, apricots, and
cherries or prunes. Place skewers over onions and season with salt and pepper.
4. Pour beer and reserved marinade over skewers. Cover and bake for 1 ½ hours.
AHEAD: These kebabs will freeze well after cooking; just make sure they have plenty of liquid to keep from drying out when reheating.
Yield 18 skewers
Recipes from Starters & Sides Made Easy
By Leah Schapira and Victoria Dwek
Julee is the writer behind the blog, Mommy’s Memorandum. She vents her emotions through flour and butter. While she realizes there are the tried and true endorphin-inducers like exercise, being thankful and eating healthy, she prefers to live in the fast lane: real butter, a new recipe with a gazillion calories and laughing until she sobs…and of course blogging. She’s perky, quirky, dorky. A Utah native and NC transplant with an appetitie to taste the world, meet its desserts!
Latest posts by Julee (see all)
- Helpful Tips for Handling Your Toddler’s Teeth Grinding and Clenching - October 30, 2014
- A Stain Treatment that Works #DawnBeyondtheSink #DDDivas - October 29, 2014
- Fun Pumpkin Facts! - October 29, 2014