Decades ago, I experienced an Abuela. She was pint-sized had the greenest eyes, smiled often and oh, man! could she cook. The drawback was she only spoke Spanish.
It was a good arrangement. She cooked, I showed up and ate.
Then came Thanksgiving and food delegations. I cannot remember the specifics, like whether I volunteered or it was assigned, but I was bringing the Black Beans…for 70 people.
I was on my own.
I’m going to share the recipe. It can be eaten as a soup, morros (mix it into rice), black bean dip (simmer until no longer soupy), you can even use left overs to make black bean burgers! Versatile; right?
The only thing that’s changed is modern cooking appliances, like the Instant Pot. Cooking time has gone from 2 hours to 35 minutes. That’s a game changer right there.
It should also be noted, that when I walked in with the huge pot of these black beans, Abuela told my husband,
“La Gringa cree que puede haer frijoles negros.“
Which when translated is, “The American thinks she can make black beans?”
Then after several samplings, she said, “Not bad. Not bad.”
Here is the Instant Pot Black Beans Recipe: Abuela Approved
Instant Pot Black Beans Recipe Ingredients:
- 1 lb. black beans
- 1 large green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 8 springs coriander (you can use cilantro)
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1/4 pound salt pork, quartered (or ham hocks)
- 14 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup white, distilled vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- 32 oz. chicken stock
- 2 green bell peppers, seeded and cut into thin strips
- 1 large onion, cut into thin strips
- 3 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1 Clove Garlic, minced
Instant Pot Black Beans Recipe Directions:
- Add all ingredients, except vinegar, sugar, and sofrito, to Instant Pot.
- Chicken Stock should cover the beans to a depth of 1.5 inches above beans–you may need more or less water by this measurement.
- Place lid on Instant Pot
- Close vent and set to manual 25 minutes.
- While the beans are cooking, add all sofrito ingredients to pan and cook until onions and peppers are soft.
- When Instant Pot beeps, let rest on natural release for 10 minutes.
- Release pressure.
- Once depressurized, remove lid.
- Add sofrito to beans and stir well
- Add vinegar and sugar to beans and stir well.
- Mash some of the beans against the Instant Pot and stir to make thicker.
- Serve and enjoy
Makes 6-8 Servings.